Congressman Jim Cooper

Representing the 5th District of Tennessee

Flood Resources for Homeowners

WE ARE HOME Program - a resource for residents in Davidson County affect by the flood.  The program provides assistance for homeowners after FEMA and / OR SBA efforts are exhausted.  The program offers grant and loan award packages to help homeowners repair and move back into their homes.

For more information, visit the We Are Home website.  

Flood 2010 Victims should visit Nashville Flood Recovery's website to get up-to-date information on long term recovery plans and useful resources.

Guide to Rebuilding Your Home After a Disaster

1. View my Step-by-Step Guide to rebuild your home.

  • NOTE:  Whether it's a broken lamp or ripped-out floors, take pictures and document any losses you have. This information will be helpful to FEMA inspectors and IRS records to determine your losses.

2. If you are forced to evacuate your home, staying in a hotel or even with a relative, FEMA Housing Assistance is available to cover some of these costs.

3.  FEMA provides individual disaster assistance for people whose homes and belongings have been destroyed in a declared disaster area.  This assistance will only cover costs to bring your home up to a minimally habitable standard. FEMA will come to your home to inspect the damages. FEMA assistance is capped at $29,900, including any Housing Assistance you may have received.

 What you need to gather for the process:

  • Homeowners - Find proof of home ownership.  Examples include a tax bill, deed, mortgage payment receipt or insurance policy with the property's address (policy does not have to be flood insurance).  If you do not have access to any of the items above, you should contact the appropriate agency to request a copy of the receipt or policy.
  • Renters - Find proof that you are renting this property.  Examples include your lease, rent payment receipt, utility bill or other document confirming that the home was your primary residence at the time of the disaster.  If you do not have access to the items above, you should contact the property owner and your utility providers.

4. Homeowners with a FEMA Flood Insurance Program should learn about your flood insurance coverage

5. Low interest personal property loans and physical disaster loans are also available to homeowners and renters in a declared disaster area through the Small Business Administration.  Personal property loans (capped at $40,000) are available to renters and homeowners for the purpose of replacing personal property that is not part of their real estate or home structure.  Physical disaster loans (capped at $200,000) are available to homeowners for the purpose of repairing or rebuilding a home that was destroyed by the floods.  

  • Apply for an SBA disaster loan for individuals at

6. Click here for a listing of community resources.

7.  Excess moisture and standing water contribute to the growth of mold in homes.   Infants, the elderly, or anyone with asthma, allergies and other breathing conditions may be sensitive to mold.  People with immune suppression are also susceptible to mold infections.  Two of the best sources of information about mold and what to do about it are the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) .