Congressman Jim Cooper

Representing the 5th District of Tennessee

Resources for Business Disaster Recovery

Please check back here frequently.  The President and Congress may authorize additional means of business disaster recovery in the upcoming days. Information about those programs will be available here when they become available.

Small Business Administration

Disaster loans through the Small Business Administration (SBA) are available to businesses to repair or replace destroyed or damaged business facilities, inventory, machinery, or equipment. The maximum loan amount is $ 2,000,000.

1. View my Step-by-Step Guide on getting help to rebuild your business

2. Find help with SBA Loans at a local Disaster Recovery Centers

3. Facts about Small Business Administration disaster loans

4. SBA Powerpoint Presentation on Disaster Recovery

5. Apply Online Now or visit our local Business Recovery Center:


Nashville Business Recovery

The Mayor of Nashville, in coordination with the Nashville Chamber of Commerce, has recently launched the Nashville Business Response Team as a means to centralize all of the available federal, state and local resources for business disaster recovery. One of the main focuses of the Business Response Team is to facilitate business-to-business assistance.   

1. Area businesses that have been affected by the flood should sign up for help.
2. Area businesses that want to help in the recovery efforts should also sign up.

Someone from the Business Response Team will contact you shortly after signing up for assistance. 

Tax Code Provisions

If your business has been negatively impacted by a natural disaster, there are certain provisions of the United States tax code that you can take advantage of to offset losses.

1. Click here to read Jim's Article on these Tax Provisions

2. Download Tax Forms from the IRS Website

New programs may become available if Congress passes the upcoming "tax extenders" bill, so please check back often.  Please consult a qualified tax adviser before you make any decisions.


  • Tennessee Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) / 615-741-0001 /
  • Metro Nashville Community Hotline (Non-Emergency Number for Community Assistance) / (615) 862-8574
  • Tennessee Department of Health, Emergency Medical Services / (615) 741-2584 or (800) 778-4505 /
  • Nashville Area Red Cross / (615) 250-4250 /
  • Hands on Nashville, Community Volunteer Organization  / (615) 298-1108 /
  • Flood recovery information from Waller Lansden



  • State Farm Fire and Casualty Co., 1-800-732-5246
  • Farm Bureau Insurance, 1-800-836-6327
  • Allstate Insurance Co., 1-800-767-7619
  • Nationwide Insurance Co., 1-800-421-3535
  • Traveler's Insurance Co., 1-800-252-4633
  • Farmers Insurance Group 1-800-435-7764
  • USAA (United Services Auto Association), 1-800-531-8111
  • Foremost Insurance Co., 1-800-527-3907


  • Locate a copy of your policy and read through it.
  • Contact your insurance carrier or your agent as soon as possible after damage.
  • Make a thorough inventory of all missing or damaged items.
  • Take pictures inside and out for documentation before repairs are made.
  • Secure and protect your property against further rain or other damage without making permanent repairs, so an adjustor can see the full extent of damage.
  • Keep receipts for any expenses required to protect your property from further damage.
  • Follow the claims-filing procedure set forth in your policy. If there is a dispute, follow the company's dispute process.
  • Settlement offers from insurers can be negotiated. You don't have to take the first offer.
  • If you have issues with an insurance company, call the Department of Commerce and Insurance at 1-800-342-4029.
  • Avoid unscrupulous, unlicensed contractors who take advantage of homeowners anxious to rebuild after disasters by hiring only licensed contractors. Consumers may verify a license status by calling 1-800-544-7693 or checking online at

For non-insurance issues, call the Consumer Affairs hot line, 1-800-342-8385.