Voting in Tennessee

We live in the greatest nation on earth, and it is a privilege and responsibility to participate in our society. Voting is a fundamental part of our democratic process, and I hope you will review the information below about how to vote in Tennessee. For more detailed information, please visit the Secretary of State's website:

How do I register?

NEW! Tennessee now has online voter registration! You can register online or update your address if you've moved. 

You can also print out and mail an application to your county election commission.

Alternatively, you may register in person at one of the agencies listed here:

  • County Clerk’s Offices
  • County Election Commission Office
  • Department of Health (WIC program)
  • Department of Human Services
  • Department of Mental Health
  • Department of Safety (DMV)
  • Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Public Libraries
  • Register of Deeds Offices

What do I need to vote?

The Tennessee State Legislature passed a law that requires every Tennessean to present a federal or Tennessee state government-issued photo ID to vote.

Any of the following IDs may be used, even if expired:

  • Tennessee driver license with your photo
  • United States Passport
  • Photo ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security
  • Photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government
  • United States Military photo ID
  • Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo

College student IDs and photo IDs not issued by the federal or Tennessee state government are not acceptable. 

Federal law requires first time voters who register by mail to present one of the following:

  • A current photo identification with voter’s name and photo OR
  • If the photo identification is expired, the voter must also present one of the following:
    • A copy of a current utility bill,
    • Bank statement,
    • Government check,
    • Paycheck, 
    • School Transcript,
    • Or any other government document that shows the voter’s name and address.

Please give my office a call at 615-736-5295 if you have any problems.

What if I'm planning on voting absentee the first time?

Many college students from Tennessee have their first opportunity to vote while they're at school in a different state. If you're planning on voting absentee for the first time, there are specific requirements you must be sure to fulfill. 

If you register to vote via mail in Tennessee, you must vote in person for the first time when you vote. You must register in person (see locations above) to be able to vote absentee for the first time.

  • An exception to this rule applies if there is an ROTC office on your campus, then you may vote there instead of voting absentee. 

A registered voter may request an application for a by-mail ballot no earlier than ninety (90) days before the election and no later than seven (7) days before the election. To be processed for the next election, the application must be received by the election commission no later than seven (7) days before the election. Please visit the Secretary of State's website for the necessary forms and information:​

Are you a student who would like to vote in Tennessee?

Check out this information about voting in Tennessee.


Are you eligible for restoration of your voting rights?

According the Tennessee Secretary of State’s website, “the legislature has also established conditions and procedures through which individuals who have lost their voting rights may regain them. The manner in which a person may restore a lost voting right depends upon the crime committed and the year in which the conviction occurred. If your conviction has been expunged, you may answer “No” when asked if you have a felony conviction on the voter registration form.” Please don’t hesitate to contact my office at 615-736-5295 if you have additional questions.

For voting locations, to change your registered address, for absentee ballot information, or to check your current voter status, please contact your county election commission.

Cheatham County - (615) 792-5770

Davidson County -(615) 862-8800

Dickson County - (615) 789-7003